This is one of my favorite summer classics for a rainy day. I loved sloppy joes growing up and had fun recreating this classic with a vomFASS touch of yum!
Ingredients (4 servings)
- 1 lb. lean ground beef, turkey or Bison
- ¾ cup chopped sweet onion
- ½ cup chopped bell pepper (red or green)
- 8 oz. sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 1 TBLS vomFASS Herb Garlic Cooking Oil
- ½ cup ketchup
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 tsp. dried mustard
- 1 TBLS vomFASS Red Pepper Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 TBLS vomFASS Star Apple Balsam Vinegar
- 1 TBLS Worchester Sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
Submitted byJulie Ginsler-vomFASS-Cary
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat in Herb Garlic Oil, sauté the mushrooms and chopped pepper until tender. Drain the moisture released from the mushrooms in a colander and set aside.
- Add the beef and onions to the pan and cook over medium high heat until the meat is browned, about 5-7 minutes and drain well.
- While beef is browning, in a small bowl mix together tomato sauce, ketchup, Worcestershire, dried mustard, Apple Balsam and Red Pepper Olive Oil.
- After meat is browned and drained well, add back the mushrooms and peppers to the pan. Pour sauce over the mixture, stir to evenly coat and simmer for 15 – 20 minutes, uncovered. If you prefer sloppier Joes, cover the pan.
- Serve on toasted bakery buns.